A Hotel With History
Bremen´s Bürgerpark or "citizens´ (public) park" is not just an impressive achievement in 19th century landscape gardening but also one of the first "Volksgärten" ("people´s gardens") to be created for Germany´s urban population. Where the Park Hotel Bremen now stands, there originally stood a little house.
It was in 1873, in fact, two years after the formation of the first German unification that the first simple house was built on the site of the today´s great hotel. In 1890, though, it was demolished to make way for a splendid town house built for a special exhibition. But even this building was to survive for only 17 years before burning to the ground as a result of an over-enthusiastic firework display.
Six years passed before a third house opened its doors in the same location. A few decades later, however, the bombs of the 2nd World War reached the Bürgerpark and brought ruin to this third house, too.
With the new start of the post-war period, it was therefore decided that something special should be created in the "people´s park". For this reason the architectural team of Anker and Rosenbusch designed a building in the style of a duke´s country residence. So it was that in May 1956 the Park Hotel Bremen was officially opened. Since then our great hotel has been a special place of rest and relaxation – an exclusive location to escape from the tumult of our daily lives.